The old post office, once a colonial beauty
- 19 Des Voeux Road, Central
Monumental post office
Many locals still remember fondly the Old General Post Office (GPO), a beautiful four-storey Renaissance-style building with granite pillars, arches and wide verandas. When it was built in 1911, it was at the shoreline next to Blake Pier, a convenient location for the post office. The post office moved out in the 1970s and the old GPO building was demolished to give way to the construction of MTR.
The only reminder of the old post office can be found in the ‘new GPO’, which is now also under threat of demolition. In the post office lobby on the first floor is a wooden arch of the old post office.
World-Wide House is home to high-end offices and boutiques, but the first three floors are known as ‘Little Manila’. A world on its own, here are over 220 tiny shops satisfying every possible need of over 200,000 Filipino domestic workers in the city: Filipino snacks, body care products, currency exchanges, travel companies, SIM cards, cheap electronics, clothes and toys. You name it, they sell it.