A gothic style church built in the old Queen’s flower garden
This church is a lot younger than all the other buildings in Church Street. It was constructed in 1868 and consecrated in 1871 after much pressure from the English population who had no choice but to go to the Dutch Reformed Church. It was the 13th Governor of Ceylon, Sir Hercules Robinson who gave the land and enough money to start building. The remaining £1,000 was donated by an English parish and the bell was a gift from the chief officer of the 'Ocean Liberty' of Clan Shipping Company.
The land on which the church was built was originally the flower garden of the Queen’s House (the old Dutch Governor’s Residence) opposite the road with oranges, hibiscus and banana trees. It was a large plot and architect James G. Smither of the public works department had big plans for his grand church. He chose a Victorian Gothic Revival style complete with buttress wall, stain glassed windows and pointed arched roof.
Join a service
Services every Sunday 9am in Sinhala. English service on the second Sunday of the month 11am. All are welcome!