Classic elegance for boutique private bank
- 26-42 Pansodan Street, lower block
- Not open to the public
This classic eye-catching building is the former Grindlay’s Bank. Few may have heard of this bank, but it was one of the largest overseas banks operating in Myanmar. Commonly known as Father Grindlay’s it was a boutique private bank for army officers and traders in the East Indian Company and prided itself on the fact that it knew all its customers by name.
Grindlay’s had offices in all British colonial outposts: Calcutta (1854), Bombay (1865), Simla (1912), Delhi (1923), Lahore (1924) and Peshawar (1926) and eventually here in Rangoon (1942). Shortly after the war Grindlay’s was bought by the National Bank of India, which was then taken over by ANZ. When Standard Chartered acquired ANZ Grindlay’s in 2000, the name disappeared with it.
Tree lined avenue
This is one of the few buildings along Pansodan with the original portico intact. Many of these elegant structures disappeared when the road was widened to improve traffic flow in 1980’s. Even the trees had to go, in the old days Pansodan Street was a grand tree lined boulevard...