Floor upon floor of shopping and dining
- 1 Matheson Street
- Open daily 10am-10pm
- +852 2118 8888
Now a huge shopping mall, Times Square was originally occupied by the Hong Kong Tramways’ Russell Street Depot. By 1932, the tram service had proven so successful that the depot was unable to cope with demand for the expanding service, so the site was extended and additional depot sites were acquired. The original Russell Street Depot was ultimately sold in 1989 to facilitate the development of the Times Square complex.
A street market surrounded the market – something hard to imagine now that it has become an upscale shopping district. Due to development of Causeway Bay, Times Square’s parent company, The Wharf, decided to close and demolish the depot and build the now Times Square. At the same time, Hong Kong Tramways also decided to build two new depots to replace the original one. The two depots were located respectively at Whitty Street, Sai Wan (also known as the “Western Depot”) and Sai Wan Ho (also known as the “Eastern Depot”). The two depots commenced service officially on 27th May and 28th April, 1989 respectively.
The “Western Depot” at Whitty Street was mainly for administrative offices and served as the main depot for fleet; the “Eastern Depot” at Sai Wan Ho was mainly for simple repairs and for parking purposes. These two depots are still in use.